tnguyen

Default Imitation Food

Gerry > wrote in message > ...
> In article >, Chris Morton
> > wrote:
>
> > >The bun I regularly have never has liquid in it. It's a bowl of
> > >vermicelli noodles sitting on greenery of different seasonal (in
> > >California) varities with something (bbq pork, shrimp, egg roll) on
> > >top.

> > The bun bo xao I have here has broth. I don't know enough about
> > Vietnamese food to know if that's out of the ordinary.

> I think I've seen that name on Vietnamese menus. I thought "bo" meant
> beef. I'll check it out the next time; I live inches from Westminster.

Pho is the name of the dish. The noodle that is exclusively used for
Pho is therefore the Pho-Noodle, or Bánh-Pho in vietnamese.
With Bún and Mì it is different. These are no dishes, just noodle
names like Maccaroni and Tagliatelle with Bún meaning rice noodle and
Mì meaning Wheat/Egg noodle. The dishes made of them are then called
e.g. Bun-Bi (rice noodles with pork and no broth), Bun-Rieu (Rice
noodle tomato soup with Rieu, i.e. micro shrimps).
Or Bun-Bo-Xao which I don't know. I guess it is a noodle soup with Bò
(beef) that is maybe xao (=roasted?).