ShaneOttawa

Default small sports pub start-up question

"steve" > wrote in message news:<38f6e$3fd916b8$40ebcfa9$28226@allthenewsgrou ps.com>...
> Hi all,
> I'm putting together a business plan for a small sports bar. I was wondering
> if anyone had any advice for a small pub start-up?
> I will be offering pubfare but the main draw will be beer of course. Are
> there any good sites or books out there for small sports pub start-ups??
> thanx
>
> --

Some thoughts as a former employee and longtime afficienado:

- the cost of vents required for deep fryers and grills is very very
high - some places don't invest those $$ or select a location that
already has the required equipment. Bite the bullet, people want wings
and french fries and decent burgers.

- be on-premises virtually all the time. Your employees will rip you
off if you aren't.

- take the food seriously. Too many places don't, and they tend to be
the ones that close. This is particularly important if you want to be
busy anytime other than Super Bowl Sunday.

- listen to your customers. If they want blue cheese for the wings but
you think its too expensive, you still need to get blue cheese.

- don't try to be a sports bar if you're not willing to make sure
every seat in the house has a great view of a tv, and most of the bar
should be watching a tv that's bigger and better than what they have
at home.

- Sponsoring adult softball teams/leagues is the best way to stay busy
through the spring/summer. Open a patio if at all possible.

- Get barstools that have backs...no backs=discomfort=going home
earlier and spending less than otherwise.

- be constantly on the lookout for good new staff. Your opening night
team will be good because you'll have the most time to find them and
they'll be excited to be part of a new bar. It will go downhill after
that, especially if you're in a small population centre without a lot
of turnover...

- Don't be too dark and dingy...let in some light and have some spots
where people can read the paper. And supply those newspapers.

- organize things for customers - a golf tournament, roadtrips to
sporting events, shuttles to local sports events, whatever - they all
help build community and keep people coming back.

Good luck...I'd love to see updates on your plans...