Gerry

Default Imitation Food

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:21:22 -0800, Gerry >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:

> >> Pho is *not* ramen. Not even close. Traditional pho is much more
> >> complicated to prepare and things can and do go wrong. A bowl of pho
> >> takes no less than 7 hours to prepare (most of that time being the
> >> stock).

> >Pho noodles are closer to Japanese udon than to Chinese ramen noodles.

> Noodles in pho are usually rice or egg noodles. Most places give you
> a choice of the two, and in the case of rice noodles - sometimes you
> can get specifiy large or small noodles. At least in my experience.

My experience is that pho noodles are always rice, and they are a large
noodle. They have mi, which is egg noodles. A sturdy egg noodle, also
in a soup, though this time a chicken broth. And they have the "glass
noodle" medium sized; I forget the name but it's not called pho.

I've never seen a choice of noodle in pho. The idea of having small or
large, rice or egg, beef or chicken: I don't think the choice is about
pho, so much as it's a choice over everything they have for sale.

I'm not Vietnamese, so can't say anything for sure. But I've certainly
eaten my fair share of Vietnamese food.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.