Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
tbs48 tbs48 is offline

Default from chipotle - a new contest

On Aug 2, 10:24 am, Rechazador de Disparates >
wrote:
> On Aug 2, 3:31?am, tbs48 > wrote:
>
> > Perhaps R de D has no sense of taste. Pobrecito. Lo siento mucho.
> > Hardly.

> So. Where's *your* contribution to this NG, besides opening a salsa
> bottle and pouring it onto some tortillas and cheese?

~~~~

I put this in back about 6 years ago, sport.. this is my own
concoction.

Salsa Verde M5

6-10 tomatillos (depending on size); about 12 oz worth
2-4 serranos & 1-2 jalapenos, or all serranos (to taste)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves (cut up or not)
1 tbsp vinegar (optional)
1 tbsp peanut oil
pinch salt

Peel and rinse the tomatillos, being careful for little worms and
things. Heat the comal and roll the tomatillos on the surface until
there are significant browned patches on all of them. Similarly
treat
the peppers. Purree the tomatillos and peppers (or if you must, mash
them on a molcajete) and force through a seive to remove bits of skin
and seeds. (Tomatillo seeds will wind up jumping everywhere.)
Heat the oil in a small skillet and sautee the onion until
transparent
(about 5 minutes at pretty high heat). Add the garlic and stir
quickly; allow neither the garlic nor the onion to brown. Add the
cumin and the purree and stir quickly. Reduce heat slightly and
allow
to reduce until somewhat less watery. Taste and season, adding the
vinegar if the tomatillos didn't add enough bite (be careful with the
vinegar). Remove from heat and stir in cilantro leaves.
This sauce is a nice accompaniment to grilled pork or chicken. It
can
be combined in trendy ways with a rich red/brown sauce made from
dried
peppers.