Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Barry Harmon Barry Harmon is offline

Default whole wheat bread

"Dee Dee" > wrote in
:

>> My scale said my 3.5 cups weighted 15 ounces. (~4.3 oz per cup) I
>> don't know if the scale is accurate or not. I don't have any standard
>> weights to check it with.
>>

> That seems a little light to me. I use 4.5 oz. for white flour per
> cup. Others use a little more than that.
> Since you think you have no accurate scale, why don't you just go for
> a pound of flour, is that possible? And then go from there.
> Dee Dee

Well, one way to check the scale is to take a package of whatever,
something that weighs about 2 pounds. Weigh that. Then remove the item
from the package and weigh the packaging. Subtract the packaging weight
from the total weight. This should equal the stated net weight on the
package.

This won't be accurate to the grain, but it'll be close enough for bread
work.

Oh, and don't use liquid and expect this to work as written above. A quart
of water weighs about 33 3/8 ounces. Now that you know that little gem of
a figure, you could use a quart of soda, water, beer, vodka, etc. (I'd be
careful about milk, I don't know what milk weighs, what with the solids in
there and all.)

Barry