Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
engv9q2ghqa engv9q2ghqa is offline

Default whole wheat bread

Hi,

Does anyone have experience making whole wheat bread without salt?

I've made ordinary white bread in the past and had no problems. However I
recently tried making no salt whole wheat bread by modifying the recipe on
the back of the king arthur flour package.

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups water
1 envelope yeast.

I'm not including salt or sweetener.

Don't copy this recipe. According to the redstar yeast web site, salt slows
the yeast and eliminating salt can cause the bread to collapse, and that's
exactly what happens when I use this recipe.

I think the problem is that it rises too fast and I just need to use less
yeast and get my oven pre-heated before the dough rises too far. Does anyone
have experience with this? Can I get this to work with less yeast and
shorter rising times? Is there a better way? I'd like to get a yeasty
flavor through long rise times. Is there anyway to get that? The recipe
calls for kneading once, and after the first rise, shaping the loaves and
letting them rise in the pan. Would it do any harm to knead again after the
first rise and do a second rise before shaping the loaves etc?

Thanks