Kristin Knaus Satterlee

Default Salmon over Noodles with Miso Broth

This Japanese-inspired one-dish meal is one of my (and my husband's)
favorite dinners; it's easy to make and delicious. Feel free to dress it
up to your liking with lightly steamed veggies -- broccoli, asparagus, and
edible-pod peas are especially good additions. If you don't have (or like)
miso, the broth would still be delicious without it. The recipe serves two
*very* generously, or could serve four as a light meal with a salad.

Salmon over Noodles with Miso Broth

1 can chicken broth (I use Swanson's)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 garlic cloves
1-inch piece ginger root
2 6-ounce salmon fillets
2 bundles somen noodles (see note) or other long noodles
2 or more tablespoons red or white miso paste (or both), to taste
1 green onion, sliced thin, optional

Measure the can of chicken broth and add enough water to make 2.5 cups
total. Place in deep 10-inch skillet with soy sauce and sugar. Peel garlic
cloves and smash them with the side of a butcher knife or the bottom of a
pan; add to skillet. Peel ginger root (I find this easiest with a paring
knife) and slice it into several round "coins"; crush these too, and add
to broth mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil for the noodles. Somen noodles
will need five minutes or less -- for other noodles, follow package
directions. Remove garlic and ginger from broth. Gently slide salmon into
simmering broth. Cook, turning once, a few minutes per side, until done to
your liking. Remove from broth and set aside. Remove skillet from heat.
Place miso in a cup and thin with three tablespoons of water. Pour miso
mixture into broth and stir until no lumps remain. Place noodles in bowls
(I like a nice shallow soup plate for this); top with salmon, broth, and
green onions (if using). Serve with chopsticks and a spoon.

Ingredient Note: Somen noodles are very thin, white Japanese wheat
noodles. They are sold neatly wrapped in small bundles, each weighing just
a couple of ounces. A box generally holds a dozen or so bundles.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: