Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 2004 Caymus SS

On Jul 28, 11:23?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > We also opened a 2004 Caymus SS last night. Lovers of California Cult
> > Cabs would love this wine. I thought the wine was excellent if not my
> > favorite style. Icky black in tshe glass with a certain visosity and
> > thickness to it. Nose of sweet ripe blackberries a touch of chocolate
> > and mint with a fair amount of oaky vanilla. Very concentrated on the
> > palate, packed with fruit and it reminded me of drinking Creme de
> > Cassis. Lush, plush tannins and a rich finish. Notd my style but I'd
> > still give this wine an "A"

> Bill,
> I have not had a Caymus SS in well over a decade (closer to two now),
> but I am reading your notes and trying to gauge whether a stylistic
> shift has occurred with this wine. I recall them as being flamboyantly
> oaky in their youth, but also well structured, with loads of tannin and
> acid. Your terms "plush" and "thick" make me think that neither acid
> nor tannin is present in huge quantity. Would you agree?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Just returned from a week in the Colorado Rockies. I would agree that
neither acid nor tannins were present in a huge quantity. While I
think that a stylistic shift has occured I would add that it started
occuring a number of years ago in the late 90's when the
"Parkerization" of wines started in California almost across the
board. My take is too long a hang time and too much monkey business
in the cellar.