Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Shane Shane is offline

Default My First Brisket

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> I have to plead ignorance regarding animal size (and standard brisket
>>> sizes for that mater) - I asked the butcher for a brisket and that's
>>> what
>>> I got. Maybe it was off a yearling - would that maybe also explain it
>>> being very lean through the flesh?

>> Next time ask him for a "packer cut brisket". You might want to Google on
>> it, so ya can have a picture and an explanation, in case he's not
>> familiar
>> with the term. I'm a Sichy kid from da Bronx, and I don't speak Aussie,
>> except for Crikeys, G''day and things not to say to a Sheila! Oh, and put
>> another Barbie on the shrimp. ;-D
>>
>> --
>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>>
>> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
>> !
>> ~Semper Fi~

> No such thing as a Packer Cut over here Nick. That was the first thing I
> asked for and got blank stares by all staff on the other side of the
> counter. It's very sad, but this style of cooking is virtually unknown in
> Australia. I know of no other person that does smokey low & slow (other
> than 1 restaurant in the city - it's apparently quite good but is
> considered unique over here - and it's very pricey).
>
> The reason is likely because Brisket isn't something that's eaten over
> here as an un-pickled cut. It is only sold as corned brisket or sold to
> chinese stores, etc. One place I went to said they couldn't sell me a
> brisket because they had an agreement with a Chinese food chain for as
> much brisket as they can get hold of. It is never available in a cryovac
> pack. Any other Aussie reading this - please advise me if I'm wrong and
> supply name and number of the place I can get 'em
>
> I'm basically pushing into an unknown frontier over here as far as home
> cooking is concerned - and I'm loving it!!
>
> Oh, and you speak Aussie just fine by the look of it
>

> --
> Pete R
> Ormiston, QLD, AU

Pete

I got an uncorned brisket earlier this year from Jack Purcell butchers in
Virginia, Brisbane. I ordered it about a week ahead, it was about 5 kilos
from memory and cost about 5 bucks a kilo. No troubles at all. I smoked it
in the covered barbie and thought it came out alright but that was before I
stumbled on this forum and started reading up on the subject. Knowing what
I know it was woefully underdone. Still, in my ignorance at the time, I
thought it tasted alright.

Try Purcells on the web here http://www.jackpurcellmeats.com.au/default.asp
or try these guys too, http://www.biggun.com.au/index.php they've got a
store at Underwood which is a bit closer to you. Any of the big, warehouse
style butchers should be able to see you right.

Good luck

Shane