Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2004 Caymus SS

Bi!! wrote:
> We also opened a 2004 Caymus SS last night. Lovers of California Cult
> Cabs would love this wine. I thought the wine was excellent if not my
> favorite style. Icky black in tshe glass with a certain visosity and
> thickness to it. Nose of sweet ripe blackberries a touch of chocolate
> and mint with a fair amount of oaky vanilla. Very concentrated on the
> palate, packed with fruit and it reminded me of drinking Creme de
> Cassis. Lush, plush tannins and a rich finish. Notd my style but I'd
> still give this wine an "A"

Bill,
I have not had a Caymus SS in well over a decade (closer to two now),
but I am reading your notes and trying to gauge whether a stylistic
shift has occurred with this wine. I recall them as being flamboyantly
oaky in their youth, but also well structured, with loads of tannin and
acid. Your terms "plush" and "thick" make me think that neither acid
nor tannin is present in huge quantity. Would you agree?

Mark Lipton