Posted to rec.food.preserving
Puester Puester is offline

Default Moussaka

George Shirley wrote:
> The recipe for moussaka I use came from a little paperback cookbook I
> picked up in Athens in 1985. We were passing through on our way to
> Istanbul and then home to Saudi Arabia and I saw it in the airport book
> kiosk. the title attracted me: "A Bunch of Greek Recipes." Instead of
> ground lamb I use ground beef. Found out that Bechamel sauce is dirt
> easy to make and that's the topping for it. We eat it on a regular basis
> as a one-dish meal generally.
>
> George

I haven't made it in years, but I recall it was easy to make but
time-consuming. My recipe used both bechamel and a spicy tomato sauce.
It also called for lamb or beef layered with both eggplant and zucchini,
if I recall correctly.

It was one of many varied moussaka recipes from "The Art of Greek
Cooking" by the Ladies of Saint Paul's Greek Orthodox Church in
Hempsted, Long Island, NY.