Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Karen in NC Karen in NC is offline

Default Spaghetti Squash

"Emily" > wrote in message
news:SaBqi.42920$Fc.35057@attbi_s21...
> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
> spaghetti under sauce.

<snipped for brevity>

Emily, it sounds like your friend is on the right track to controlling her
diabetes. Kudos to her, and to you for being such a caring friend!

Here's an excellent recipe for spaghetti squash I found several years ago.
Enjoy!

Karen
Type 2

SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used only 1)
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup (8 oz.) 1% cottage cheese (can substitute ricotta for smoother
texture)
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons seasoned dried bread crumbs

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking sheet
with cooking spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake for
30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork,
scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.

2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the
onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is
soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is
dry.

3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley,
salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking
dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.

4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Makes 6 servings

Per serving: 142 cal; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 11 mg.
cholesterol; 3 g fiber; 405 mg. sodium

Diet exchanges: 0 milk, 1 1/2 vegetable; 0 fruit; 1/2 bread; 1 1/2 meat; 1
fat

From Prevention magazine's "Outsmart Diabetes Cookbook"