Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default Price of Oranges

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:44:52 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>Good Lord! I just looked at a receipt from a grocery store today.
>Certainly no Whole Foods here! 2 for $1.98. I couldn't believe it. So I
>weighed them. At least they were large, but still. 24 oz. = $1.33# -- well,
>looking at it that way, I guess it's more reasonable. As Broccoli Rabe was
>$2.69 #. Wondering what equal product at WF would cost.
>
>Lucky I live Virginia,
>Dee Dee

Where in VA do you live? And where do you shop?

I know when I was in northern VA, one could find amazing bargains at
some of the big Asian stores. Have you tried there, if you live in
that area?

If you live elsewhere in VA, I think you are probably out of luck. I
know when I was in Richmond this past spring, I was just floored by
the price of produce. It was a welcome relief to get back west to NM
to lower produce prices. And even then, they are higher than
California.

Yesterday, I got two heads of cauliflower for 88cents each. And
broccoli crowns were about 98 cents/pound. The stone fruits were
about 70-80cents per pound, for the most part. I think I got oranges
for a lot less than you did.

But try some of the Asian markets if you are close to any.

Christine