Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment
Otto Bahn Otto Bahn is offline

Default Microwave oven rant. Rice.

"Adam Funk" > wrote

> >> But first, I agree with the point that microwave ovens are generally
> >> for reheating rather than cooking as such --- with the exception of
> >> rice, for which the microwave is a legitimately easy cooking method.

> > That doesnt add up to me, nukes are foor cooking as much as reheating.
> > And rice I wouldn't do in a nuke.

> I recommend trying it: one volume of rice and two volumes of water
> (that varies a little with different brands and types of rice;
> sometimes you need to add a little more). Zap until done, stirring
> occasionally. If you make about the same amount of rice each time,
> you learn how long to time it.
>
> Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> saucepan.

I don't need pans, water or microwaves. Rice is one of those
ingredients in meals prepared by someone other than me. Not
that I even like to cook in general, but rice and beans were
one of my staples during my poor starving idio^H^H^H^Hartist
days.

As a friend once remarked, "If I'm going to spend 45 minutes
making dinner, it isn't going to be ****ing beets." Okay, so
he was talking about beets, not rice, and if you don't get the
intonation right, "****ing" might sound like a verb instead of
an adjective, but you get the drift.

For some reason rice was a grain that was hard to find in its
non-raped form, though I suspect it might be easier to find now.
Even in nice restaurants brown or wild rice is usually only part
brown or wild. White rice is like soft styrofoam that is only
good if the sauce is good.

The kid who fell from the tree sounded exactly like a sack of
rice. That has nothing to do with not cooking it, it just haunts
me still.

--oTTo--