Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Looking for good hamburger recepie

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> More than ten years ago I cycled through the states. I remember having an
> excellent hamburger once (I was not into bbq or smoking at that time, so it
> may have been rubbish, but in my mind it was the best I ever had (or it was
> because we where cold and hungry on a wet and windy day))
>
> Here is what I know of the place
>
> It's in Montana on the road from Virginia city to west Yellowstone
>
> I remember passing a lake with dead trees sticking out of the water (due to a
> landslide)
>
> The restaurant is made of wooden logs, and is near a river
>
> I think the name was something like "big bear .."
>
> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The burger
> tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor came from a
> sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a burger get a smokey flavor on a
> grill without adding liquid smoke? I tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste
> very good
>

> Adriaan
>
> The Netherlands

Just a side note.

Many times the "Smokey flavor" comes from the fat in the meat dripping on the
grill and producing smoke. Many restaurants have gas fired grills that allow
the dripping fat to be burned imparting a Smokey flavor to the meat. This
flavor or amount of flavor is in direct proportion to the fat content of the
ground beef ( usually from 7 to 20%) depending on the specifications of the
restaurant.

Dimitri