Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for good hamburger recepie

> A. Kesteloo wrote:

SNIP

>> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, >>made over a grill. The burger tasted "smokey". I'm not >>sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor came from a >>sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a >>burger get a smokey flavor on a grill without adding >>liquid smoke? I tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste >>very good

I think one of the things that make a good grilled burger is the fat
content. When I am making burgers for me and the group, I use the
pumpbuster blend, 80/20, or 85/15 meat to fat. I learned that from an
old q guy here in town that had a great joint for about 30 years.

He also cooked them over mesquite/oak mix, with the fire not too hot
so the meat/fat could absorb the smoke well as he left them on a
little longer than I would have. He made his patties 1/3 lb weight
before they were cooked, and he mixed a little dried onion and black
pepper in the meat before making the patties. After the one and only
flip, he salted the meat.

Those burgers were always excellent. I still do mine that way.

Robert