Posted to rec.food.cooking
Little Malice Little Malice is offline

Default Favorite Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe

One time on Usenet, "cybercat" > said:
> I've never made this. I will braise the beef and cut into bite-sized pieces.
>
> I want a base that is beef broth with a bit of tomato.
>
> (I know, it's hardly soup weather, but we eat it year round, and I want it
> perfected by the fall ...)

Now that everyone has given you their advice about tomato based beef
stew (which is, of course, what you wanted) allow me share my favorite
beef stew recipe, which my mother taught me. No tomato, but still very
good, kind of like pot roast with gravy:

Mom's Beef Stew

1 1/2 lb. stewing beef or cubed chuck steak (I prefer the steak)
4-5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 lb. baby carrots
3 T. flour
Dipping flour, seasoned
Cold water
Shortening/oil

Melt shortening/heat oil in large kettle or dutch oven. Dredge meat
in seasoned flour, brown in oil. Remove from pan, set aside. Add 3 T.
flour to oil, stir & cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add cold water,
mixing well and allowing to reheat between additions. Replace meat,
add more water if necessary. Allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hours, then
add potatoes and carrots, cook until tender, about another 1/2 hour.

--
Jani in WA