Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Wines in Liguria (repost)

NB:This has already been posted. Unfortunately (I'll blame jet lag), I
posted everything under "Wines in France." Even I know Liguria isn't
in France. I'm reposting to up the odds that Luk, Mike, or Fillipo
will see (Nils was also there, but I figure he is more likely to read
"wines in France" post) . I'm hoping they will correct any
nomenclature mistakes, and tell me how wrong I am about the wines (I
find disagreement much more stimulating than agreement!).

After a gorgeous drive through the Rhone-Alps region, Val'Aoste, and
Piedmont (ok, the Piedmont part wasn't gorgeous, we were east of
Alba), we had dinner Friday at Agrodolce in Imperia. Tasting menu with
very good
seafood- eggplant/pepper flan with mussels, a crudo of white fish
(hake?) , baccala, calamari stuffed with buffalo mozzarella, clams in
a squid ink with pasta, plus another white fish with couscous and
fried leeks. Very good food, though the staff was a bit overwhelmed
this night. Filippo and Luca chose the wines:

2006 Terre Rosse Pigato- bright, minerally, with a real core of fruit.
I kind of expected a good Ligurian white to be very light and high
acid, but this is more structured. Good acids, but not sharp. Lots of
depth and minerality, I'm quite impressed. Probably my favorite bottle
of the trip. A-/B+

(?) Neris Pinot Grigio
Ordered because they were out of this producer's Tocai Friulano.
Perfectly acceptable inoffensive white, but lacking the interest of
its table companions. A little too round for me. C+/B-

2005 Arcagna Rossese di Dolceacqua
Bright red fruit, a little pine undertone, medium length. Develops
nicely over an hour or two. Someone says it's like a good Nuits St
George- not quite to my tastes, but it would do very well in a contest
of Mercurey 1ers.
B+

Very fine night with nice people! I'll also note that the Relais San
Damian that Mike suggested is maybe the most beautiful inn/B&B/hotel
I've ever stayed in. Highly recommended (as is Agrodolce)

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency