Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you make spongy pancakes?

CM wrote:

> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

You start off with the basic pancake ingredients, flour, salt, sugar,
baking powder, and then add various chemicals and additives, preservatives,
powdered eggs, powdered milk and strange solid fats.

Sorry, but I have no appreciation for commercial spongy type pancakes.
Pancakes are pretty easy to make but franchises make them so that the
lowest paid kitchen staff and part timers can make the identical product
every time in every store and it is a major disappointment for me that
pancake speciality restaurants make some of the worst pancakes around.

Do yourself a favour. Go out and get some buttermilk and make yourself a
batch of buttermilk pancakes. If you don't want to pay for a quart of
buttermilk to make just one batch then use whole milk, add a spoonful of
vinegar to it and let it sit for a few minutes. You won't be going back to
IHOP.