Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default How do you make spongy pancakes?

CM wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> CM said...
>>
>>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
>>> but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What
>>> is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
>> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>
>> Andy

> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes. It's all
about chemistry.

George