Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton Blair P. Houghton is offline

Default Mix your own sweet drink powders

Blinky the Shark > wrote:
wrote:

>>>Throw in a pinch of salt per pint and you've made a "sports drink".

>> Is that all that makes a "sports drink" such as Gatoraid? Just a

Yup.

You don't even need the sugar.

>> little salt? I am asking because I get dizzy spells all the time when
>> it gets real hot outside. A friend who is a nurse said to drink
>> Gatoraid. I have been drinking it and it seems to help a little, but
>> not really much. From what you said, it soulds like salt would be all

>How much are you drinking. I'm no chemist or doctor, but I don't think
>sipping now and then is going to do anything; I suspect you have to

4-8 ounces of water with 50-100 mg of sodium and/or
potassium chloride.

The lining of the early part of your intestines actively
transports the salt. And when the salt is on the other
side of the membrane, it sets up an osmotic pressure.
That increases the rate at which the intestine draws water
into your bloodstream.

More salt and the osmotic pressure runs the wrong way.

Less and your intestines still take in the water, but slower.

And you need the electrolytes.

>drink a fair amount of it. Where is the line between sipping and
>drinking a fair amount? You've probably crossed it - for you - when you
>notice it's doing more good than when you sip at it.

You only really need a sports drink when you've temporarily
depleted yourself. About 8 ounces right after exercise.

All other times, water should do.

For long rides, I get electrolytes at intermediate stages,
about every hour or two. The salt makes you thirsty,
so I don't like drinking them continuously.

>> I need. I'm not really too fond of Gatoraid and would rather drink
>> other things. Is adding a little salt to any liquid all I really
>> need?

>Luckily, I enjoy Gatorate.

It's okay. Gatorade Rain tastes better. Less cloying;
probably a different mix of electrolytes. But both still
have too many empty calories. So I've gotten into the
PowerAde Option. Artificially sweetened, so it's 10
calories instead of 50.

--Blair