Greykits

Default Cream Cheese Coffee Cake - The Recipe plus the stuff I promised (long)

Melba wrote:

>OK, here's my recipe that is included in Ann Burckhardt's book, "A
>Cook's Tour of Minnesota." Sharon Capps has already posted it in
>another thread.

>Have never used the powdered sugar icing top.

This is really similar to a long lost coffee cake recipe I got off a yeast
packet years ago. The filling was enclosed in the dough and there was no
struesel, though. And, I often put powdered sugar glaze on top. I will have
to try this one soon.

We had a friend who is down on his luck over for dinner today. I don't usually
make desserts, but remembered how much he and his mother loved them, so had to
make something. His mom and my mom were best friends, and we all still miss
his mom.

The dinner was rotisseried chicken over hickory chips (brined 2 days),
asparagus, and long-grained and wild rice. He brought salad. The chicken was
done to a turn, even on such a windy day. The asparagus was done simply, with
just lemon juice and butter.

This dessert is a keeper because it is so simple for one like me who doesn't
make many desserts. The worst part is that you dirty up two bowls. This uses
a brownie mix. Believe me, having seldom bought brownie mixes, it was a search
to find one with the right amount of ounces. Glad that's over with!

The recipe calls for a container of prepared chocolate frosting, which I didn't
like. Instead, I bought 12 oz. chocolate chips. I put about half a bag in the
brownie mix and then put more on top of the cake while it was still hot. I
made a powdered sugar/water glaze and swirled that on, and then did the knife
cuts on it to give that marbled look. It was pretty! There are about 3 pieces
left now.

This is from Duckie from rec.food.recipes:

Christmas Cheesecake Topped Brownies

1 (21 1/2 oz) package brownie mix
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese; softened 2 tablespoons butter or margarine,
softened
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16 oz) container prepared chocolate frosting

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Prepare brownie mix
according to the directions on the package. Spread into prepared baking pan. In
a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and cornstarch until fluffy. Gradually
beat in sweetened condensed milk, egg and vanilla until smooth. Pour cream
cheese mixture evenly over brownie batter. Bake for 45 minutes, or until top is
lightly browned. Allow to cool, spread with frosting and cut into
bars--Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at
recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting. Please allow several
days for your submission to appear.Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/
rharps.com