Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Brisket Technique

On 15-Jul-2007, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > I'm adding nothing new by reiterating my June 16th brisket cook. It does
> > add to the credence though of the premise that good bbq brisket can
> > be made under 20 hours using temps higher then a hot date. It was a
> > 12.2# packer cut. I slathered it with CYM and then dusted liberally with
> > Bayou Blast. It cooked at a nominal 270° for 11 hours. It was a little
> > overdone at 200°F internal, but it's good brisket nevertheless. Lest
> > anyone should ask, it is not spicy or garlicky and does not taste of
> > mustard. The bark itself is quite tasty. My creosote days in 2003 are
> > a distant memory. For anybody that cares, that 12.2# yielded 6.5#
> > after resting.
> >

> Brick, Ed, Dave- I've just finished up a great butt, and am thinking
> about doing a brisket. I've not gone shopping for the meat yet, but
> suspect I'll end up with something in the 10# range. If you don't
> remember, my smoker is a Bradley that I've modified with a digital
> differential thermostat. For my first attempt, I'm gonna play like it
> was a butt, but with a higher internal temperature. Right now, I'm
> thinking about sticking it on around 8:00p with an initial hood
> temperature of 240f and a target meat temperature of 190f. That means
> the ramp decreasing the hood temp with start at 165f and will bring the
> hood temperature down to 190f as the meat cooks. That way, the hood
> will be at 240f as the collagen breaks down and that should give it a
> good crust. I'll report on the outcome.
>
> Now, Brick, you mention CYM and Bayou Blast. What is CYM? I don't have
> any Bayou Blast, but think I'll just try it with some EVOO, Salt, Pepper
> and (maybe) a little bit of the rib rub I make up. Any suggestions or
> thoughts before I begin this noble experiment? What would it be like
> if I'd substitute bacon fat for the EVOO?
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

CYM is "Cheap Yellow Mustard". Bayou Blast AKA Emeril's Essence
is a blend touted by Emeril Lagasse and can be found on Food Network.
If you Google "Bayou Blast", the very first hit is "Emeril's Essence". Don't
bother to Google "CYM", you'll get 2,600,000 hits. My advice would be
to not get cute with seasonings before you have achieved several
successful cooks using your tried and true spices. There is always the
question, "Do you want to taste meat? Or, do you just want a vehicle
to try out your spices to see how they taste?"

I pulled some of my smoked chicken out of the freezer yesterday for
lunch. There's a lot of ways to prepare chicken, but smoke roasted
chicken is unique. As we were eating lunch I thought back to the first
time I ever had smoke roasted chicken. It was after I discovered AFB
and ABF and it was chicken I cooked myself in my gas fired bullet
smoker. I've had a lot of chicken since then. Not all of it smoked,
but a lot of it was good. Rotisserie chicken is right up there with
smoke roasted, but it's not a substitute for the real thing. Smoke
cooked in a pit stands by itself.
--
Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)