Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking
[email protected] santaka13@gmail.com is offline

Default American hot dog tastes like cardboard ( Chinese food tastes like cardboard)

On Jul 15, 6:40 pm, wrote:
> > What are French fries called in Russian?

> "Kartofel fri". (from the French "frit" (fried)).

Yep. These days in Lithuania - bulv s fri. (Bulv = potato, same
word as 'bulb'.)

> My parents took me to restaurants only on vacations, and most my
> summer vacations were spent in Druskinikai, Lithuania. So, ironically,
> I associate french fries with Lithuania.

Go figure! :-) I was in Druskininkai a few weeks ago. They have an
'aquatic park' now. Is good. I compared scantily clad Lithuanian,
Russian, Polish, American and British females. No prizes for guessing
which I preferred. British were no. 2. (Espańolas would have been,
had there been any espańolas present.)

> > Instead, why had kugelis and bulviniu blynu,

> What does "bulviniu" mean?

As per above, bulv = potato, same word as 'bulb'. {I believe
belaruskij uses the word too.}

> > not to mention cepelinu.

> Yes, in Russia cepelini are considered the quintessential Lithuanian dish.. But they usually refer to them as " > ( )" (didjukulai).

Far out! We always called them cepelinai until a few years ago the
language academy said we should call them didžkukuliai, which means
'big dumplings'.

> I also loved the Lithuanian rendition of golubtsi (cabbage rolls)

with sour cream/tomato sauce.

Yes! Baland liai in Lithuanian (= little doves). It's an art. Ever
made any?

My mother used to smack us for wanting ketchup on the above foods.
Now Lithuanians do it all the time. Especially on šašlikai. Ah,
juniper (kadagys) smoked šašlikai, made from lamb (not pork), the
Georgian way.