Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Rudy Canoza[_1_] Rudy Canoza[_1_] is offline

Rupert wrote:
> On Jul 5, 3:31 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> You make an assertion about difference in moral status.

>> YOU are the one making an assertion, rupie. Defend
>> it...if you can <snicker>
>>

> No, the situation is symmetrical. I am making assertions, you are
> making assertions.

No. You are making assertions. I was just going about
my life minding my own business. You want me to change
the way I live. Defend your assertions, or shut the
**** up.

>>> Yes, I did just re-read it and my characterization of your position
>>> was

>> utter bullshit.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> I wrote

utter bullshit.

>>> It's sufficient for me to point out

>> You "point out" nothing, ****. You make an assertion,
>> and you can't defend it. You're done.
>>

> I make an argument

You make an assertion at the foundation of that
argument, and you can't defend the assertion.

>>> Why not?

>> It's irrelevant, skirt-boy. See below.

>> That.
>>

> But I maintain that this view is unacceptable because it can't account
> for how the abolitionists could have adequatly argued for the
> abolition of slavery. You maintain that they could have, but you
> haven't met your obligation to explain how.

I don't have any such obligation.

In fact, the only obligation I have in this entire
affair is to point out that you can't defend your most
basic assertion, and that you're a hypocrite.

>>> Of course you are.

>> No.
>>

> Right

Right.

>>> If the presumption in favour of equal consideration

>> No such presumption.
>>

> Well, I had something to say about certain unacceptable conclusions
> which would follow if that was the case, which you snipped.

It was crap.

>> You fail utterly.
>>

> My argument is fine

It's crap. You can't support your most basic
assertion. It is not an axiom.

>>> If I said "I don't think that Negroes are entitled to equal
>>> consideration, you persuade me that they are", you would clearly have
>>> no idea how to start either.

>> You're wrong, rupie. I do know.
>>

> Empty bluster.

You keep telling yourself that, rupie. It might make
the pain go away for a bit.

>> Get busy defending your assertion, skirt-boy.
>>

> Let's go over it again

Let's have you defend your assertion, for the *first*
time, skirt-boy.

>>> Well, what the hell are you saying then?

>> I'm saying that you are failing to support your crucial
>> assertion. You are - an utter failure.
>>

> See above.

Bullshit above, as usual. You can't defend your
assertion. Someone might be able to defend it, but you
can't.

>>> Er, not really, no.

>> Yes, really. I didn't do Ph.D. level maths, rupie, but
>> I did enough. I also know how axioms work in other fields.
>>

> Axioms are not proved.

Axioms *are* proved; once proved, they don't require
further proof.

>> You can't merely assert something is "axiomatic", rupie.
>>

> We've all got to start somewhere.

You may not begin by assuming something that you
absolutely are required to demonstrate.

>>> I'm taking the formal principle of justice

>> Crap. Crap that assumes one of its basic premises as
>> axiomatic, so the entire endeavor is crap.
>>

> Yes, most moral philosophes do take the formal principle of justice

Crap.

>>> Yes, I have,

>> You haven't, rupie. You've fallen back on mere (and
>> empty) ipse dixit. It's all you have.
>>

> See above.

Empty ipse dixit above. As usual. Crap.

>>> The formal principle of justice

>> Crap. Something that, again, assumes that which it
>> must support. Burden of proof: NOT MET.

And nothing has changed.