Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio Joe Sallustio is offline

Default large primaries

On Jul 12, 7:56 pm, Tater > wrote:
> Guys I was joking about the 65G barrel (i do have it though) as a
> primary.
>
> but it got me to thinking, wouldnt larger primaries (and secondaries)
> help balance out fruit? one sour plum in a 10g primary will have more
> effect than in a 65g primary.
>
> and to gather 65g worth of secondaries?!!!?!! I'd need to sell a
> kidney to get an addition tot eh house just for storages 780 bottles
> of wine...... PER SEASON!!!!!!
>
> (drinks maybe 2 bottles a year)

To answer the question; absolutely, the bigger the batch the better
the chances are that anomalies will be absorbed. The biggest barrel I
might buy keeps bouncing around in my mind; 30 gallons -12. There is
a nice barrel from Hungary that holds around 12.5 gallons that sure
seems like the perfect size for me but the sucker is around $250.
Some day maybe, but I would buy a crusher before I buy that....

Joe