Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Restaurant critics beware!

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote

> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>>Tony23 wrote:
>>>I know someone who was told by the Judge that she COULD NOT represent
>>>herself and she MUST retain an attorney to appear in court...

>>Well, that's just crap. *Anyone* can appear pro se. I cannot imagine a
>>state that doesn't allow one to represent him/herself. I'd have asked
>>that judge to show me song and verse in the Code of Civil Procedure
>>where it says that. "You're Honor, with all due respect (which, of
>>course, always has a subtitle of "you flaming *ss"),

> It's that "due" that turns it from "with all respect" to
> "with no respect because you are due none".

I thought the general idea was to avoid grounds for overturning the
result of the trial. The fact that the person wasn't represented could
easily result in a do over. The Colin Ferguson (sp) case comes to mind,
he represented himself but the court insisted he have 'co-counsil' ...
lot of good that did. And ... he did appeal the conviction because he
had incompetent counsel.

nancy