Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default 1,500 year old Chiles..

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> > Fascinating bird...
> >
> > I've learned from her that many people are really not prepared to offer
> > some parrots what they really need in the way of attention. They can be
> > a real commitment...
> >
> > Anyway, I'm wandering. :-)
> >
> > I'm not sure, but I guess I could try planting some of her "deposits"
> > from under her favorite roosting spots, but these can also be propagated
> > from air layered or carefully cared for cuttings.

> Parrots have been known to escape, but I have a feeling that Freya's
> former owners could not make the committment that raising a bird
> requires, so they turned her loose. You are doing a wonderful job
> giving her love and care, and creating a habitat for Freya to live
> comfortably. There should be a special place in Heaven for you.
>
> Becca

Thanks... :-) I'm just glad I had the space to do it.
I had an Aluminum alloy sun room addition built several years ago. 3"
thick foam insulated walls with double glass storm windows and it's own
foundation, Window AC and floor heaters as needed. Cost me around 16K.
It opens off the Kitchen with French doors.

Her Aviary was actually less expensive to build than even the largest
commercial parrot cages. Set us back only around $400.00 for chain link
fencing poles and 1" x 2" aviary wire. Dad and I built it together. She
is happier out there anyway as there is more too look at. LOTS more
windows!

According to her band, she was around 6 months old when she came to us.
It's also possible that some moron did not understand the necessity of
wing clipping. Granted, once she had the aviary to live in, I've also
stopped wing clipping as she is secure... but I used to do it and got
her to play and make a "game" out of it.

They love to play.

I just can't stand seeing birds bought and used as "decorations" and
status symbols. There is an entire network of parrot rescue facilities
but most parrots that start self-mutilating never do recover. ;-(

I'm glad that Freya never has done that!

BTW, infant chewing toys are a great way to save money on parrot toys!
They work very well, especially the "busier" ones if you know what I
mean? Ones with lots of beads.

http://i19.tinypic.com/6g8ujq0.jpg

Her "home".

http://i18.tinypic.com/5zqibkx.jpg

Playing "Eagle bird". :-)

I don't know what the hell her previous "owner" did to her in the short
time they had her, but it took me a solid 8 years to get her to "step
up" and trust hand sitting. I probably could have done it a lot faster
if I'd spent more time at it, but I did not want to push her.

These birds have LONG memories.

It was strange. She'd come to me and climb up and sit on my chest to be
cuddled and even hugged so she obviously trusted me, but she was
terrified to sit on hands, or shoulders. Even now it makes her a bit
nervous, but she's learning...

I'm no bird expert, but Freya has taught me a lot. I "listen" to my pets.

The most amusing thing about trying to hand-train her was that I
accidently taught her to "shake hands" on command ("Shake a paw!")
during the process. I was trying to get her used to having her feet
handled. It's funny as all get out. :-)

Her vocabulary is not extensive, maybe 20 words or so if you include her
animal sounds (She meows, clucks and crows).
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.