Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking
Becca Becca is offline

Default 1,500 year old Chiles..

Omelet wrote:

> Freya is a Goffin's cockatoo and was a "stray". We've cared for her now
> since 1998 when she flew into my back yard and ate grain off the ground
> with my chickens.
>
> She was horribly destructive so we finally built her an aviary rather
> than trying to re-home her or worse, driving her insane by locking her
> in even the largest parrot cage on the market. :-(.
>
> So many people that keep these birds for "decoration" are so f-ing
> clueless! There is nothing sadder than an insane, neglected parrot that
> plucks itself bare out of boredom.
>
> That is not happening here!
>
> She is a very loving bird and is a very good friend, but a bit
> demanding. :-) But that's ok.
>
> Her "cage" is 8' long by 4' wide and 6' tall and lined with pine chips
> on the floor. It's walk in so I can go in there and spend lovey time
> with her.
>
> LOTS of mostly home made toys to keep her occupied.
>
> Fascinating bird...
>
> I've learned from her that many people are really not prepared to offer
> some parrots what they really need in the way of attention. They can be
> a real commitment...
>
> Anyway, I'm wandering. :-)
>
> I'm not sure, but I guess I could try planting some of her "deposits"
> from under her favorite roosting spots, but these can also be propagated
> from air layered or carefully cared for cuttings.

Parrots have been known to escape, but I have a feeling that Freya's
former owners could not make the committment that raising a bird
requires, so they turned her loose. You are doing a wonderful job
giving her love and care, and creating a habitat for Freya to live
comfortably. There should be a special place in Heaven for you.

Becca