Posted to rec.food.cooking
Amarantha Amarantha is offline

Default Outback Steakhouse

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in news:TLDki.64199$qT.12452
@fe06.news.easynews.com:

> ravenlynne > wrote:

>>And I'm somehow doubting that "shrimp in cream sauce" is an australian
>>specialty..lol. They're pork chops are good, I've heard.

> I'm trying to think of what they could do to make it
> more authentically Australian.
>
> But I don't think Americans will go for mutton and
> kangaroo on the menu...

Ya, I've seen their menus and none of it struck me as particularly
Australian. It seems to be USAian food with not-even-really-Australian-
sounding names. We don't eat Monterey Jack cheese or ranch dressing in
Australia (and for that matter we don't put cheese and dressing on
absolutely everything), and we call shrimp prawns and fries chips. Of
course that's no reason not to go there if the food is good

Traditional Australian food is mostly starchy and stodgy - flour and tinned
things were all that kept well in the outback without refrigeration. Even
I (b.1974) grew up eating mutton+3veg, tuna mornay, golden syrup dumplings
and pavlova. Modern Australian food is fairly fresh and simple - kind of
an Asian-fusion-made-with-local-produce vibe. Chilli prawns on fresh
handmade pasta, or steak with wasabi mash and asian greens, style of fing.