Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is shell steak?

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I made the mistake of picking up my first snapping turtle a
> couple weeks ago. That snap was the quickest movement I've ever
> seen in the natural world. If I wasn't in shock, I would have
> drop-kicked that 14". Turns out it was chick looking to lay, so
> So I let it slide (after spray-painting it with my gold
> 'SQZ-Austin' tag).

Fast aren't they. One way to catch them is to dangle a big stick in front
of them. They snap at the stick and latch on hard enough that you can pull
them out.

We once caught a huge one in the pond on a friend's farm. It was so big
that it would not fit in a large wheelbarrow. He held onto that stick hard
enough that we were able to stretch his head out far enough over a log to
chop it off. That pond was our swimming hole and that guy was big enough
to bite off a toe or two.