Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unhappy 4th!

Sheldon wrote:

> > my sons school. They knew we were going to be away for the March break. We
> > used to get a lot of telephone calls with hang-ups as soon as we answered.
> > We got a new and unlisted number after that, but now that we have call
> > display we are listed again.

> What's "call display" and what does that have to do with having an
> unpublished number?

"Call display" is "caller ID". It shows you the number that is calling your
phone. It used to be quite common for people casing a house for a burglary
to call to see if anyone is home. Call display/caller ID was also a great
way to deter people from making harassing phone calls. Having a number
unlisted decreases the chances of someone casing your house to call to
check if you are home. Once I got the call display I didn't feel the need
to maintain an unlisted number.