Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default Water purifier pitchers ??

In article <ie8ii.702$fw2.334@trnddc04>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> wrote on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:35:15 -0000:
>
> e> On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> ??>> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water
> ??>> purifier pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?
> ??>>
> ??>> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles
> ??>> home from the store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for
> ??>> the home delivery stuff.
> ??>>
> ??>> Comments?
> ??>>
> ??>> Thx!
>
> I have used a Brita pitcher for more than 10 years for drinking
> water and making coffee. I keep it in the fridge and it's
> certainly an improvement over local tap water. The coldness may
> be part of the better taste but the chlorinated water from the
> Potomac river is pretty bad at room temperature.The only
> drawback is a lack of an indicator for replacement of the carbon
> filter. Brita has tried a few devices but they can't have been
> too successful since they no longer supply them.

Where I live, the water is pumped from underground aquifers. The water
has a high mineral content and I don't like it at all for drinking. My
cat agrees too; she drinks filtered water much more quickly than when I
just give her water right out of the tap. I use a Brita water pitcher
too and it works great.