Posted to alt.food.barbecue
low-n-slow low-n-slow is offline

Default Brisket Technique

Okay guys, here goes:

Last night 8 pm placed untrimmed packer cut brisket fat side down on
grill of cooking chamber in off-set smoker (I have one of those cheapy
"Char-whatever" units you can buy for about a hundred bucks at Home
Depot).

Smoked fat side down over small fire made from hardwood for about 45
minutes as fire began to die down so flipped it over and cooked other
side about 15 minutes. The fat side was nicely brown and not burned at
all.

Then coated brisket with Wishbone Italian Dressing and again placed in
cooking chamber about 9 p.m. Moved remaining fire from cooking chamber
to fire-box and replenished fire at fire-box.

Cooked brisket fat side up from 9 pm last night to 12:30 pm. on July
4th, little over 15 hours, with temps at the hood thermometer from 200
to 300 degrees, but averaging around 235.

I used some leftover oak/mesquite/hickory that was "old and
termitey" (let him who is without sin here cast the first stone).

Took brisket off at 12:30 p.m. when it reached internal temperature of
about 180 degrees and tightly foil wrapped it and put in kitchen.

Kept wrapped for about an hour while we made the "fixings" to go with
the barbecue.

Results:

We only cut the point, but I was very happy with the tenderness and
texture. Nearly all of the fat was "rended" out of the point, leaving
moist, tender hunks of "falling apart at the fingers" barbecue (you
guys who eat barbecue with your fingers know what I am talking of
here

The bark was nice and crunchy too. My only disappointment was the
taste of the bark, which was slightly bitter, and Ed's point above is
duly noted. Another cause may also have been some of the wormy, rotten
wood I used.

In any event, will try this technique again as overall I was very
happy with this brisket and the superior quality of the point. Will
sample some of the flat tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your feedback,

Low-N-Slow