Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Brisket Technique

On 3-Jul-2007, " BOB" > wrote:

> "Brick" wrote
> > On 1-Jul-2007, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> >
> > > Nonnymus wrote:
> > >
> > > Man, please don't top-post; it takes to long to figure out who or
> > > what you're responding to.

> > > Exactly. A prime rib roast ain't the same cut of beef. Not all meat
> > > is suitable for bbq.

> > Dave's right of course, but that don't mean you can't cook a rib roast
> > in your pit and get a little smoke on it if you want to. I've done it
> > and I'll do it again, but I took mine out at about 130°F internal and
> > after resting a half hour or so it was pretty nice eating. I vacuum
> > packed some of it and it warmed over okay. I can't say how long it
> > might keep that way. It didn't last long enough to tell.
> >

> BUT...cook that rib roast at much higher than BBQ temperatures.
> I start a rib roast at about 400 to 450 degrees on the grate for about a
> half hour. Then let the fire die down to about 300 'til the internal meat
>
> temp is about 120. Let it rest as above.
> I think that the difference in internal finishing temperature is that I
> like
> rarer prime rib than you and your wife do. ;-)
>
> BOB

I and mine like Medium Rare by the accepted definition of "Warm
Center". We do not like a piece of meat that is "COLD" in the middle.
A center temp of 120 going into the cooler would probably please
SWAMBO and I after it had time to sit for half an hour. Frankly, I
don't worry about it that much. Certainly, I wouldn't go to the
trouble of changing temperatures in the middle of a cook.
--
Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)