Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default Flaxseed

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:34:21 -0700,
wrote:

>On Jun 23, 11:03 am, "Cougar" > wrote:
>> Just tried flaxseed. Bought whole kind. >

>Hi - I found out yesterday that I am right on the edge of type 2
>diabetes. This runs in my family; the last four years I experienced
>the lethargy after meals, but they couldn't get a blood test to nail
>down type 2. When I was working, my morning started early (4 am) and I
>had to be alert on my job, so I would skip breakfast and eat my first
>meal of the day around 10 am. This wasn't the best solution, but it
>worked at the time.
>
>Now that I no longer work, I have made changes - I have added
>breakfast. My morning meal is oatmeal with flaxseed meal cooked into
>it. I guess the ratio would be 1/2 cup flaxmeal to 2 cups rolled oats
>(uncooked). I eat about 3/4 of a cup, add raisins, cinnamon, and a
>tablespoon of brown sugar and a splash of milk. Not only are oats good
>for unclogging the arteries and are slower to break down in the
>digestion, the added flax meal has fiber and the good omega fatty
>acids I need.
>
>Has it worked? I have been doing this now since my bad physical report
>card this March. My BP was 140+/90+ - it's down to about 120/85 with
>my used-to-be normal being around 110/75. I haven't checked my
>cholesterol levels yet, but exercise makes a great impact on that and
>I am making myself move. I don't experience lethargy after eating. I
>am not so hungry because the oatmeal "sticks to my ribs" as my parents
>used to say. I have lost 15 lbs, and that is with that one simple
>change - Breakfast oatmeal with flax meal. I add flaxmeal to the
>pancake batter that I make with rice flour and not much wheat flour
>because I suspect I have some gluten intolerance as well. Other than
>that, I avoid wheat and eggs, which knocks out many bad options for me
>as it is in just about everything commercially produced.
>
>AK BeBe
>
>borderline 2 but no meds yet,
>fibromyalgia for 20 years
>BMI low 30's
>and trying to follow a A+ bloodtype
>and the caveman diet as best I can

I can't say whether it has worked, based on that. Although
BP and cholesterol are important indicators for many
ailments, including cardiac and diabetes, for us the primary
measure is our blood glucose levels.

I suspect that your "heart-healthy" breakfast may not be as
good for blood glucose - but the only way for you to find
out is to obtain a meter and start testing.

See if this helps you get started properly (and I don't
avoid eggs):
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg