Posted to alt.food.diabetic
[email protected] pricklepig@gmail.com is offline

Default Flaxseed

On Jun 23, 11:03 am, "Cougar" > wrote:
> Just tried flaxseed. Bought whole kind. >

Hi - I found out yesterday that I am right on the edge of type 2
diabetes. This runs in my family; the last four years I experienced
the lethargy after meals, but they couldn't get a blood test to nail
down type 2. When I was working, my morning started early (4 am) and I
had to be alert on my job, so I would skip breakfast and eat my first
meal of the day around 10 am. This wasn't the best solution, but it
worked at the time.

Now that I no longer work, I have made changes - I have added
breakfast. My morning meal is oatmeal with flaxseed meal cooked into
it. I guess the ratio would be 1/2 cup flaxmeal to 2 cups rolled oats
(uncooked). I eat about 3/4 of a cup, add raisins, cinnamon, and a
tablespoon of brown sugar and a splash of milk. Not only are oats good
for unclogging the arteries and are slower to break down in the
digestion, the added flax meal has fiber and the good omega fatty
acids I need.

Has it worked? I have been doing this now since my bad physical report
card this March. My BP was 140+/90+ - it's down to about 120/85 with
my used-to-be normal being around 110/75. I haven't checked my
cholesterol levels yet, but exercise makes a great impact on that and
I am making myself move. I don't experience lethargy after eating. I
am not so hungry because the oatmeal "sticks to my ribs" as my parents
used to say. I have lost 15 lbs, and that is with that one simple
change - Breakfast oatmeal with flax meal. I add flaxmeal to the
pancake batter that I make with rice flour and not much wheat flour
because I suspect I have some gluten intolerance as well. Other than
that, I avoid wheat and eggs, which knocks out many bad options for me
as it is in just about everything commercially produced.

AK BeBe

borderline 2 but no meds yet,
fibromyalgia for 20 years
BMI low 30's