Posted to misc.rural,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.agriculture,alt.philosophy,alt.food.vegan
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Considering human influence on animals

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:01:59 GMT, "Dutch" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message ...

om...

>>>You were wedged into this irrational argument long before Salt's essay
>>>came
>>>up. You think that you can and must justify consuming animal products by
>>>taking credit for the fact that livestock "experience life".

>> I understand that it's necessary to consider the animals, in order to
>> get any idea whether or not it's cruel TO THEM for humans to raise
>> them for food. You don't understand that, but I do.

>You misunderstand everything. It's not necessary to believe that animals
>benefit by being born in order to understand that they can suffer harm by
>suffering pain or deprivation.

Duh Bagoo.

>In fact that false belief hinders your
>ability to consider their suffering objectively, since you feel that they
>start with a benefit.

There's no way you could understand how I feel about that.
Are you really unaware that you've spent several years trying to
prevent anyone from thinking about how I do feel about it?

>>>You probably got hooked on this idea when you were justifying your
>>>involvement in cock fighting.

>> I learned to understand it by thinking through why I destroyed
>> eggs which would have hatched into chicks I didn't want to raise,
>> instead of letting them hatch and experience life for a while--the
>> best part of life for chickens--instead.

>Viable fertilized eggs are already defacto chickens.

Not when they aren't incubated. You can't move beyond
this point.

>You aren't giving them life, they already have it.
>
>>>Yet you claim to oppose dog fighting and bull fighting even though
>>>the same rationalization could be used for them.

>> Not by me. Try it if you think you can do it.

>The argument would be that the positive life that the animal experiences
>outside the ring, which accounts for 99.9% of the time, more than outweighs
>whatever suffering he may undergo in the ring. Therefore by opposing dog
>fighting a person is cheating dogs out of the lives they could have
>otherwise had.

Lives that I consider to be overly restrictive among other things that
give them a negative value. It's different for chickens in ways that you
could never appreciate.