Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Rupert Rupert is offline

On Jul 2, 1:31 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Jun 29, 6:02 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >> "Rupert" > wrote

> >> [..]

> >> Protection of their very lives with something like murder laws that we
> >> are
> >> protected by. The relevant similarity between humans and chickens is the
> >> ability to feel pain.

> > Don't chickens have an interest in continuing to live? Isn't that
> > another relevant similarity?

> No similarity there at all, chickens have no "interest in continuing to
> live" in the sense that humans do. Chickens, as with most animals, simply
> live from moment to moment, responding to whatever stimuli happen to be
> occuring at the time. Humans on the other hand have a conscious awareness
> and interest in continuing to live for a particular period of time, they
> grasp the notion of dying, and no longer existing, for eternity. In this
> respect chickens may as well be dandelions.

Some people do draw a distinction between a human's interest in
continuing to live and a chicken's interest in continuing to live,
such as Peter Singer. However, there is some degree of similarity, and
it is not true that a chicken is relevantly like a dandelion. A
chicken benefits from being allowed to continue to live. In this
respect they are like us. There's no justification for terminating a
chicken's life just to satisfy some trivial desire of our own.

> >> To hell with "the literature", that's a diversion. Say it in your own
> >> words.

> > I have to some extent. I've been starting by discussing Singer's
> > views, just for the purpose of explaining what they are, not of
> > defending them. You haven't been very willing to listen. It's a
> > complex issue and there are many different positions available which
> > are consistent with equal consideration. If you really want to
> > familiarize yourself with the issues, the best way is to read a bit of
> > the literature.

> That was just a way of saying that you're incapable of expressing an idea
> without making yourself look dumb.
>
> It didn't work, I see through it. It makes you look inarticulate.

No, you're wrong. I haven't been making myself look dumb at all. I've
been patiently trying to educate you and so far you've proved
ineducable.

> >> Whatever that is supposed to mean.

> >> Such as?

> > The interest in not suffering, and the interest in staying alive (when
> > that is relevantly similar).

> Not remotely similar due to the difference in sentience.

In that case we should say the same about certain humans, such as
newborn infants. It's a complex issue, but in many cases there is some
degree of similarity.

> >> What else could it mean?

> > Well, it would entail that a lot of modern farming is morally
> > indefensible, for a start.

> Ought we not begin with the premise that human race gets to continue?

Well, you can if you want, I don't see how that would affect the above
point.

> >> I don't find that useful. Even as a person sympathetic to the strongest
> >> possible welfare measures, "equal consideration" seems to me like a
> >> collossal misnomer for an ideal.

> > Well, why? What's wrong with equal consideration?

> It's completely untenable. It doesn't begin to accurately describe what ANY
> moral ideal attempts to do, much less reality.

Well, you think so. But you've given no evidence for this point of
view, and no evidence that you really understand what equal
consideration means.

> > How do you justify
> > less than equal consideration?

> By the need to live within a ecosystem crammed with other living organisms,
> and by a vast gap in sentience between humans and other organisms.

Differences in cognitive complexity don't affect the basic issue of
equal consideration. I see no evidence that the need to live in an
ecosystem affects the case for equal consideration.

> How can you justify *suggesting* "equal consideration"? The phrase should
> be jettisoned out-of-hand.

You still don't understand what it means.