Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_8_] Nonnymus[_8_] is offline

Default Live crabs on the grill?

Frank Mancuso wrote:

> I have parboiled/steamed first, then clean, then grill with a rub or
> butter.

This if OT for a barbecue newsgroup, but since it makes a very decent
accompaniment, you might consider it. At least the major grocery
chains, such as Albertson's, Smith's etc., now regularly feature frozen
King Crab legs in the meat section. I'm sure that the price varies
greatly upon the part of the country, but here in Las Vegas we see them
on sale for $10/pound. Many are identified as being "wild" Russian
catch. Depending on how picked over they are, you can find some really
huge ones without much of a knob remaining where they were attached to
the body.

I'll get several and let them finish thawing in the kitchen sink. I'll
then split them and extract the meat. Usually, it comes out completely
intact right down to the toe. This is then rinsed well, towel dried and
vacuum bagged in double portion sizes.

Something Mrs. Nonny really enjoys is for me to make her a side of
Zataran's Red Beans and Rice. I make it following the box directions,
but just about ten minutes or so before it's done, I toss in a double
serving of the king crab. In most cases a single serving, about 4
ounces, is just one of the larger joints. The heat of the simmering red
beans and rice is just enough in about ten minutes to thaw and heat the
crab meat and it adds a little flavor. When serving it, I ladle out a
serving on the plate, adding one of the huge pieces of crab meat on top-
almost like a garnish.

It's kinda a show off thing for company, but is so simple that it's
almost embarrasing. I've found it goes great with a pile of pulled
pork, half rack of ribs or a chicken breast, and nobody complains about
oddity of crab mixing with pork or chicken.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by