Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_8_] Nonnymus[_8_] is offline

Default Brisket Technique

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Brisket is a very tough cut of meat and needs to have a lot of collagen
> broken down, thus the long times at low temperature. Going to an internal
> temperature of 190 to 200 is OK, unlike a good rob roast. It will be the
> most tender piece of meat you ever had. I don't do any basting or mopping,
> but others swear by it.
>
> The time given is for a full packer cut, not for trimmed flats. They are
> more troublesome and I don't do them. You want to leave some fat cap to
> render during the long cooking times.
>
> Just apply the rub of your choice, if any, and cook until tender. Now, Big
> Jim uses 300 degrees and uses less time and still gets good results so there
> is more than one way to do a good brisket.

For a first try on, say, a 12 or so packer cut, what would you suggest
for the hood temperature and the meat temperature? Would I want to take
it off when it reaches the setpoint or would I want to let it ride there
for some length of time? If it a function of time or internal
temperature that tenderizes the brisket?

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by