Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen in NC Karen in NC is offline

Default Banana Bread

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering
> which
> recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5
> bunches
> of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
> wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.
>
> Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out
> there?
> And how different they all are?
>
> I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.
>
> kili

Here's my family's favorite recipe, adapted from my Better Homes & Gardens
New Cookbook. This makes a very dense, moist bread; topped with some
whipped cream cheese it's heavenly!

Banana Coffee Bread

1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 or 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup, but a little extra won't
necessitate any recipe adjustments)
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325°F. Cream oil and sugar until well blended. Add eggs
and beat well. Stir in banana. Sift together dry ingredients and add to
banana mixture; mix well. Spray 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with non-stick spray;
pour in mixture. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until tester inserted in center
comes out clean.

I've also done these in disposable foil mini-pans to give as little holiday
gifts. Bake the mini-pans for about 35 minutes at 325°F.