Posted to rec.food.cooking
pfoley pfoley is offline

Default Banana Bread

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering

which
> recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5

bunches
> of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
> wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.
>
> Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out

there?
> And how different they all are?
>
> I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.
>
> kili

=================
I love this recipe for Banana Bread. I have tested many different recipes
and this has always been my favorite. I think it is the sour milk in it
that makes it so good.

My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

1 Cup White Sugar

½ cup Crisco oil or Canola Oil

2 Eggs

1 Tablespoon Sour Milk (milk with a little vinegar in will do)

½ Teaspoon Salt

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

3 or 4 Very Ripe Bananas

1 Teaspoon Vanilla

2 Cups Flour

½ Chopped Walnuts (Optional

Directions

Cream the sugar and shortening well. Add the eggs and beat together. Mix
the sour milk and baking soda together and add to egg mixture. Mix well.
Add the salt, mashed bananas and walnuts. Before adding the bananas, mash
them with a potato masher; not a beater. Add the flour and mix only to
moisten; do not beat.

Put batter into a greased loaf pan and let set for 15 minutes before you
bake. Put in a 375 degree oven and bake for about one hour. It will have
a crack down through the middle and be nice and brown when it is done. Test
for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry
and clean then it is done. If it comes out with some batter on it let it
bake a little longer. Testing is important, as it is hard to tell when it
is finished baking.