Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Rupert Rupert is offline

On Jun 29, 2:19 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Jun 19, 12:51 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >> "Rupert" > wrote in

> >> There is no plausible similarity between chickens and humans that would
> >> compel us to treat them similarly.

> > You're missing the point. I am not advocating that humans and chickens
> > be treated similarly - I am not advocating that we try to teach
> > chickens mathematics, for example, or give them the right to vote.

> That's a strawman, I never suggested that is what was meant by "similar".

What did you mean, then?

> > Equal consideration of their interests with that which we would give
> > the relevantly similar interests of a human does not entail that we
> > treat them similarly to typical humans.

> Say what it *is*, not what it is *not*. Define "relevantly similar
> interests" as it applies to humans and chickens. Get beyond theory and into
> application.

Well, I've referred you to a few places in the literature which
clarify how equal consideration applies in various practical situation
and you've told me you're not interested.

> > When you say "There are
> > distinctions between typical humans and chickens, therefore we are
> > justified in treating them differently" you're basically conceding my
> > point: discrimination requires justification by means of a morally
> > relevant difference.

> I never argued that we should act indiscriminately, and I'm not conceding
> the argument from marginal cases, if that is what you are trying to suggest.

No, I'm not suggesting that. I think that your attempted rebuttal of
the argument from marginal cases (which I'll get around to addressing
shortly) is still consistent with the basic point that I am making
here, which is the formal principle of justice, although perhaps not
with equal consideration.

> > There are distinctions between typical humans and
> > chickens which do justify us in treating them differently, but the
> > point that we should give equal consideration to their interests with
> > that which we would give to the relevantly similar interests of a
> > human remains, and in *this* respect the situation is analogous with
> > the requirement to give equal consideration to the relevantly similar
> > interests of people with fair skin and people with dark skin.

> It's only analagous in the most extreme broad understanding of the word
> discrimination. In real terms there is as much similarity between a human
> and a chicken as there is between a chicken and a beetle. Moralstat99.doc
> makes this point effectively.

The point being made is that *no* amount of dissimilarity is any good
reason for refusing to give equal consideration to relevantly similar
interests. There is some dispute about the extent to which there are
dissimilarities between fair-skinned and dark-skinned people. But this
dispute has no bearing on the issue of whether their interests should
be given equal consideration.

> If
>
> > people with dark skin were on average significantly less intelligent
> > than us, as used to be widely believed, that would entail some
> > differences in how we treat them - there would be certain forms of
> > advanced education which would be appropriate for them less often, for
> > example, and certain forms of employment which would be appropriate
> > for them less often. The general point that their relevantly similar
> > interests should be given equal consideration would still remain, even
> > if this claim were correct. Getting people to change their beliefs
> > that people with dark skin were less intelligent no doubt provided
> > some welcome help to the cause of getting them better treatment, but
> > strictly speaking the case for giving them equal consideration was
> > unaffected by this factual issue. In this respect, the situations are
> > analogous. You have not undermined this analogy.

> You have failed to connect the dots. The only morally relevant
> characteristic of a chicken is its ability to suffer pain and deprivation.
> Accordingly, we are obliged to take measures to alleviate those effects in
> animals in our care. Which other "morally relevant characteristics" do you
> claim chickens possess?

Um, yeah, that's pretty much all I'm saying at this point: we should
make them suffer unnecessarily in order to satisfy our trivial
interests. That would have fairly radical implications.

> >> The only similarity is that morally
> >> significant is that chickens can also experience suffering, therefore we
> >> ought to alleviate that suffering. But that is a characteristic of
> >> chickens,
> >> the relation to human sensitivity to pain is really immaterial.

> I see that I already made this point, but you missed it.

I agree, we could just argue "chickens suffer, so we should avoid
unnecessarily causing them to suffer", but apparently people who run
battery-cage farms don't find this argument compelling, so we try to
reinforce it with the argument from equal consideration.

> >> Not similar, equal, identical.

> >> My attempts to explain why your analogy is invalid in no way relieve you
> >> of
> >> the burden to show that it is valid.

> > Your attempts to undermine the analogy miss the point, that is what I
> > am trying to explain to you.

> You are not making a valid point. You are asserting that relevant similarity
> exists without defining it.

There are some relevant similarities and some relevant
dissimilarities. I can't discern any difference between our views
about what those are.