Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen Burns Karen Burns is offline

Default Feel No Guilt -- Bird's Nest Soup No Longer Politically Incorrect

>>> http://swiftletranching.com/
>>> http://swiftletfarming.com/birdsnest.html
>>>
>>> Eat all you want! The birds will make more!

>> Ok, but who the heck wants to eat bird spit?
>>
>> Ick.
>>
>> I'm adventurous with food but even _I_ have my limits!
>>
>> Plus they crap in the nests so you are eating bird feces too.
>> --
>> Peace, Om

> Don't be rediculous! The dried nests are cleaned thoroughly before
> cooking!

Yes, the nests are cleaned before being prepared (rinse, drain,
repeat... hey, kind of like beans! haha... pick out any feathers or
crud, etc.), but the nests *themselves* are made of hardened swiftlet
saliva, with bits of straw and/or seaweed or whatever. So while there
probably won't be any (much) bird poop residue, you are still
essentially munching on some rubbery, gummy bird spit.
I'd probably try it if I were somewhere where it was offered... here in
Ohio, I doubt I'm going to run across it anytime soon, though.