Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
shawn shawn is offline

Default Request for a new thread: Mexican-Filipino culinary connections

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:46:48 GMT, Dirty Sick Pig
> wrote:

>shawn wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:34:49 GMT, Dirty Sick Pig
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> As for spicing it up, we have a small chile pepper called "labuyo" which
>>> is common in Southeast Asia and is used in everything. All other
>>> peppers are decorative. Labuyo is so nasty that a breed of fighting
>>> cock was named after it. The little bomblet is featured as well in lots
>>> of old folks' sayings and modern smartypants insults.

>> According to what I just read the Sili Labuyo (Bird’s Eye chilli)
>> comes in at around 80,000-100,000 Scoville units which puts as just
>> about as hot as the lower end of the habanero.

>I am deeply in love with my tongue because it's the only one I have. I
>refuse to test this 80K-100K figure so I'll take your word for it. But
>I know what you say about habanero; a friend from San Antonio, Tx gave
>me a 1-1/2 quart Bell jar of tightly packed roasted habaneros in brine
>and I barely used the first 1/2" from the top. That was over two years
>ago so I'm good to go until mid-century. Until then I hang on to his
>nice antique jar. :-)

You know I find it strange. Some times I can easily handle habaneros,
and other times I find Jalapenos too hot. I will say that I got a
bunch of dried habaneros a few years back and found that those weren't
that hot, and made a nice addition to a pot of chili.

I'm one that believes in adding chilis (powder or fresh) to a dish for
the taste and not just going for the burn. It reminds me of this Thai
place I used to go to with a bunch of guys I worked with. One day an
Indian guy (by ethnicity since he was either total raised in the USA
or mostly) went with us. They served most dishes with a variety of
heat levels from no heat, to a 1 (low heat) up to a 5 (crazy hot.)

Me and this guy ordered the same dish, but I got it at a 1 and he went
for a 5. He said that the heat doesn't bother him. Needless to say
that was way too hot for him. LOL. It was funny looking at the two
plates as mine just had a slight tinge of brown too it and his was
totally brown due to the spices. I tried a bit of his dish and the
spices just overwhelmed the taste of the dish. That's why I stuck with
my level 1 heat since it provided some spice while still allowing you
to enjoy the taste of the underlying dish.
>> http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/sili-chilli
>> http://www.answers.com/topic/thai-pepper

>Thanks for these "hot" links!

LOL. You are welcome.