Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ms P Ms P is offline

Default What do I do with another picnic?

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> This is going to sound silly, but I have my last picnic in the fridge,
> defrosting, and I'm trying to think of something original to do with it.
>
> We've had pulled pork coming out of our ears for the past two weeks. Most
> of it has been smoked and/or BBQ'ed. We have another picnic we cooked
> today
> in the smoker, we pulled it this evening, and we didn't even touch it. So
> now we'll have even more pork on hand.
>
> I'm not looking for ideas on how to use the meat up, I'm looking for
> creative ideas on how to flavor the meat differently - the smoke flavor is
> getting a little old day after day after day. (Hubby *hates* the pork
> and
> sauerkraut thing, by the way, because otherwise that would be ideal.)
>
> So, I'm open to suggestions. Got any?
>
> kili

Have you made Mexican food with it? One of the places here makes a really
good pork dish. They cube it and simmer it in some kind of red chili sauce
until it's tender. Then they make burritos and tostadas with it.

Someone I lived next door to used to make what she called chalupas. She'd
fry a flour tortilla, top with refried beans, pork green chili, cheese,
lettuce, tomato and salad dressing. She made the pork green chili by dicing
it small and frying. Then she'd remove the meat and add flour and water to
the fat and then add back the pork with diced green chilies and then simmer
until thick.

Some of the best pork burritos I ever had were smoked pork, green chilies,
and refried beans. My husband brought them home from work and he brought me
the "gringo" version. They were excellent.

One of the bars here used to do a whole pig roast a couple of times a year
and they served it either in buns with bbq sauce or in tortillas with salsa.

Ms P