Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default What do I do with another picnic?

kili wrote:

> This is going to sound silly, but I have my last picnic in the fridge,
> defrosting, and I'm trying to think of something original to do with it.
>
> We've had pulled pork coming out of our ears for the past two weeks. Most
> of it has been smoked and/or BBQ'ed. We have another picnic we cooked
> today in the smoker, we pulled it this evening, and we didn't even touch
> it. So now we'll have even more pork on hand.
>
> I'm not looking for ideas on how to use the meat up, I'm looking for
> creative ideas on how to flavor the meat differently - the smoke flavor is
> getting a little old day after day after day. (Hubby *hates* the pork
> and sauerkraut thing, by the way, because otherwise that would be ideal.)
>
> So, I'm open to suggestions. Got any?

Braised with any of these flavor combinations:

soy, 5-spice, red wine, and brown sugar

cumin, Mexican oregano, garlic, paprika, ancho chile powder, and beer

tomatoes, black olives, parsley, cumin, lemon zest, and cinnamon

pineapple slices, cider vinegar, and cloves

milk, nutmeg, and dried apricots

vindaloo spices: see http://www.recipezaar.com/6574

catsup, white sugar, cider vinegar, soy sauce, and pineapple chunks

ginger ale (especially Vernor's) and mustard

Of course, there are dozens of options, but those are what popped into my
head first.

Bob