Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.equipment
Tinman Tinman is offline

Default Grills with IR Burners

"Rick Blaine" wrote:
> Was looking at grills in Lowes today and trying to figure out which model
> is
> better: The PerfectFlame split hood, or the Charbroil TEC.
>
> Both appear to be of similar construction

I looked at both and don't recall the two being similar in construction.
IIRC, the PF model's SS was mostly cosmetic and in the front.

> TEC has the reputation and until a few years ago, the patent, which
> probably
> accounts for some of the price difference.

The patent that expired was for the ceramic design. They have since gone to
a SS burner design with the glass plate. That design is still
patent-protected.

> OTOH, the TEC has the burner right up under the grate, protected by a
> glass
> plate. This also has the advantage of allow marinades to sizzle on the
> plate
> under the meat.

The TEC burner also heats the entire area uniformly.

> Thoughts, comments, personal experiences would be much appreciated.

I bought the TEC series and have been happy with it. One thing that irks me
is the rotisserie design, but that's about it. Plenty of discussion about
the model he
"http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1250&st=165"

--
Mike