Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

Andy wrote:

> Goomba38 said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> Goomba38,
> >>
> >> Not sure about peripheral IV site but I was attached to the IV for 7
> >> days non-stop and the IV location was changed every two days. Maybe to
> >> prevent vein collapse. I left with some pretty good black and blue
> >> marks on my arm.
> >>
> >> The sacks were clearly marked SODIUM CHLORIDE and POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.
> >>
> >> Occasionally, they'd interfere the flow of that stuff and shoot me full
> >> of pain medicine through an auxiliary tube midstream along the way to
> >> my arm. I'll never forget the "burn" of that stuff either, then "OK...
> >> zzz"
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Right.. we always "clearly mark" IV fluid bags with their contents. All
> > I was saying was that there is nothing particularly unusual or
> > remarkable about your getting IV fluids (non stop or intermittantly) for
> > that time.
> > Potassium can be pretty hard on veins, but you were getting no more than
> > 10 mEq at a time if in the small bag and less per hour if in the large
> > maintenance bag of fluids, because we can't (don't) put more than that
> > through those tender peripheral veins. If you were in crisis you'd have
> > had a different type of venous access.

> OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for pancreatitus. I
> wasn't allowed to eat.
>
> What class of patient does that put me in?
>
> ???
>
> Andy

LOL! A hungry one I should imagine.

During my recent hospital stay I acquired some spectacular bruises as
well; but then I bruise easily anyway. Despite having two IV/injection
ports (matched set one per wrist) my sodium chloride was given as stupid
tablets which seemed to disagree with me. We compromised: one tablet per
meal (regular diet) and I sprinkled more salt on my food.

Consider the logistics of feeding so many sick patients with different
cultural/religious restrictions and different dietary restrictions!